[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick

Elnaiem, Dia-eldin A daelnaiem at umes.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:37:10 BRST 2011

Condolences to Merrielle and to all leishmnaics and the whole community of entomologists and parasitologists interested in tropical medicine.  Bob will be greatly missed and it is very sad to think that we will not see him again.  But, we have to rememebr that people like Bob don't die. We were really lucky to see him during ISOPS7.

Bob will remain with us in his great ideas and contributions and we will always rememebr his fatherly personality and great sense of humour.  He cheriched lesihmaniasis and the leishmaniacs at every moment of his life and I can not forget how he used to rememebr and mention the names of all people he worked with as if they were part of his family.  I will also never forget how he cared for his mentor Garnham and recorded his history and contribtuion.  This particular care about Garnham told alot about Bob.

Many scientisits contributed to leishmanais, but Bob was the only one who brought all sand fly entomologists and linked them through the ISOPS.  This was not trivial and it remains as a unique phenomenon in disease vectors.  Least we should do is to keep the ISOPS going, because we know how he cared for it.

We were really lucky to see him during ISOPS7.

Dr. Dia-Eldin A. Elnaiem
Associate Professor of Applied Zoology
Department of Natural Sciences,
University of Maryland Eastern Shore,