[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick (UNCLASSIFIED)

Lawyer, Phillip G CTR US USAR MEDCOM WRAIR PHILLIP.LAWYER at US.ARMY.MIL
Mon Oct 24 14:46:05 BRST 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Jeff,

I appreciate the message, as bad as the news is.  Bob was a great friend and mentor of the highest order.  He touched the lives of so many leishmaniacs, including mine, and contributed as much as or more to our field than any other individual.  Bob was genuinely interested in what others were doing, especially young researchers, and was quick to encourage and offer advice and assistance.  Having had the opportunity to work with him in the field, "pooter" in hand, I admired and appreciated his curiosity, which led to his vast store of scientific knowledge, his great expertise, sage wisdom, and of course his delightful sense of humor.  He was fun to be with, even on a "forced march" back to Sumene.

Phil Lawyer

-----Original Message-----
From: leish-l-bounces at lineu.icb.usp.br [mailto:leish-l-bounces at lineu.icb.usp.br] On Behalf Of jeffrey shaw
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:25 PM
To: Leish-L
Subject: [Leish-l] Leishmaniasis looses one of its icons - Bob Killick-Kendrick

 I have the very sad task to inform everybody that last night (22/10/2011) Bob Killick-Kendrick died. Leishmaniasis has lost one of its icons and the breadth and depth of Bob´s comments on-line and at meetings based on years of experience is a terrible loss to us all. Bob´s career spanned many areas of parasitology. He worked on trypanosomiasis in Nigeria with David Godfrey and on returning to England dedicated many years to malaria, in particular rodent malaria. He travelled extensively on field projects all over the world and together with Prof Rioux was seminal in understanding the ecology of leishmaniasis in the Southern France where lived.

Jeffrey Shaw

Leish-L welcomes your comments and anecdotes on Bob´s life so please send them.