[Leish-l] inquiry

Satoskar, Abhay Abhay.Satoskar at osumc.edu
Wed Jun 8 18:48:15 BRT 2011

Yes, its true that the RF therapy needs to be administered under local anesthesia. However, most of our patients have single or 2-3 lesions which we can treat with RF therapy. Patients with more than 5 lesions are treated with SSG. In India (probably other endemic countries) our experience is that it is difficult to ensure 100% patient compliance for any treatment that involves multiple administrations or applications. In our experience CL patients are reluctant to visit clinic for completing intralesional SSG regiment because those injections are painful. We find that with RF therapy thsi is not an issue since most cases require only single treatment.  Newer lidocain creams such as EMLA could be a great option and we may try that.

Abhay R Satoskar MD, PhD
Professor
Departments of Pathology and Microbiology
129 Hamilton Hall
1645 Neil Avenue
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio