[Leish-l] miltefosine for diffuse leishmaniasis

Chang, Kwang-Poo KwangPoo.Chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:46:11 BRT 2011

Dear Carlos,

Is there anyway to collect some Leishmania in the clinical sample for genetic analysis/species identification without cultivation ? I still think it is important to do this just to make sure that cultivation does not select something clinically irrelevant.  If so, testing their drug-sensitivity may or may not be informative.  I don't know if the lesions contain abundant amastigotes or infected macrophages for ex vivo evaluation of their drug-sensitivity. If so, one could think of several different ways to do it in micro-scale.

KP