[Leish-l] FW: Leishmaniasis Pathology Network

Hiro Goto hgoto at usp.br
Sat Aug 13 00:02:02 BRT 2011

Dear Paul.
Great! We are very much interested in this Leishmaniasis pathology
network. We have started to discuss with colleages of our Institute of
Tropical Medicine and of Medical School of University of São Paulo. We
will soon organize to provide a supportive letter.
Best regards,
Hiro Goto

Citando jeffrey shaw <jayusp at hotmail.com>:

> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:58:52 +0100
> From: paul.kaye at york.ac.uk
>
> Subject: Leishmaniasis Pathology Network
>

>     Dear all,
>     Invitation to participate in a global pathology
>       network for
>       research and training in leishmaniasis (LeishPathNet)
>     You may recall the Dormy House meeting in 2008
>       and some of
>       the plans we put forward?  Over
>       the past
>       couple years, I have also spoken more to a few of you about one
>       idea that was
>       formulated at Dormy, namely of setting up a digital pathology
>       network. I have
>       also had numerous discussions with the major equipment
>       manufacturers to see if
>       any of them would be supportive of helping us to develop such an
>       initiative.  There have
>       been two major
>       develoments recently.  First,
>       Carl Zeiss
>       is willing to work with us to set up an integrated global digital
>       pathology
>       network (providing a significant financial and technical
>       contribution) and
>       second, the Wellcome Trust is willing to review a pre-proposal to
>       fund the
>       initiative through their new Biomedical Resources Grant scheme
> (http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Funding/Biomedical-science/Funding-schemes/Strategic-awards-and-initiatives/wtdv031727.htm)
>       .
>     I have attached an outline of the project that
>       I had sent to
>       the Trust for their initial views, which I think is reasonably
>       self-explanatory.
>        They appeared very
>       enthusiastic!  The main
>       question now is whether enough of
>       you are still supportive? [ I will also be sending this email to
>       others, but please feel free to circulate ]
>

>     I think the
>         project will be
>         challenging, but success could have a real impact on the way we
>         conduct
>         business.  It should serve not only as a vehicle to enhance
>         research in
>         leishmaniasis, but the model would be equally applicable across
>         a broad range
>         of diseases and global challenges (with leishmaniasis setting
>         the pace).
>     If we wish to
>         proceed, the requirements
>         are that we submit a pre-proposal to the Trust by Oct 18th 2011.
>         This pre-proposal is short (4 sections of 350 words) and
>         requires
>         letters of support from the community.
>     If you are
>         supportive of the idea that
>         we try to take this forward (and there is plenty of scope for
>         later iteration
>         of the detail), I would be grateful if you could please provide
>         me with a
>         letter of support by September
> [...]

Profa. Dra. Hiro Goto
Laboratório de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, USP
Av. Dr. Enéas de Carvalho Aguiar, 470, prédio II, quarto andar
05403-000 - São Paulo, SP
Tel. +55-11-3061 7023, 3061 7056 ou 3061 7027
Fax. +55-11-3061-8270