[Leish-l] Fwd: name

ali vahab vahab_ali at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 05:05:23 BRT 2010

Dear Friends,
I have received so many emails about Visceral leishmaniasis and Kala-azar. It is very clear and simple that both terms known well by the scientific communities.We don't need lots of explanation for this issue. Dr. Shyam Sunder, Dr Anuradha Dube, Narendra Saxena and some other scientists views are absolutely correct. Visceral Leishmaniasis (VL) is scientific terminology on the basis of Leishmania strains and commonly used all over world which affects visceral organs. However, Kala-azar is a common and historic term used in India and other parts of the world. Both terms are synonymous. PubMed search showed that Kala-azar term used more than VL by scientific community.
1. Kala-azar  (7267)
2. Visceral leishmaniasis (6934)
3. Visceral leishmaniasis (Kala-azar) 6934
Thus, both terms are authentic and appropriate
Thanks

Dr. Vahab Ali
Scientist
Dept. of Biochemistry,