[Leish-l] name

Manica Balasegaram mbalasegaram at dndi.org
Wed Apr 21 05:09:56 BRT 2010

Dear Dr Basu,
This sounds like a complicated and challenging case. In summary this is a 42 year old with multiple episodes of relapse that is now showing incomplete parasitological response at end of treatment.
There are a few issues to consider:
1)       Does the patient have evidence of another important co-infection: particularly HIV or TB? I would screen for both. In the case of HIV, there may be little chance of ever achieving sterile cure even if on ART. In HIV co infected cases, patients have often been managed by maintenance treatment or secondary prophylaxis. However there is perhaps less chance of success if initial parasitological cure is not achieved.
2)       Nutritional deficiencies (both macro and micronutrients) should be addressed through appropriate therapeutic feeding/ nutritional supplementation depending on severity.
3)       You mention that the patient has been treated with Lipid Complex Amphotericin B? Do you specifically mean Ambisome or is it some other formulation of amphotericin B. If it's the latter (i.e. not given AmBisome), it may be worth trying a course of Ambisome 5mg/kg over 4 doses (e.g. higher dose for this case) if you can get hold of the stuff.
4)       In the event there is no evidence of any overt co-infection: if the patient is clinically will, one could consider a repeat visit in one month. I think the next course of treatment in this scenario could perhaps be a combination of drugs (on a compassionate basis: e.g. AmBisome and Miltefosine). Since this is a case of multiple unresponsiveness, one could try full courses of both, depending on how well tolerated this is (perhaps this may be controversial- but there is very little guidance . You could also consider trying paramomycin (though availability will be difficult since I understand it is not yet registered and available in Nepal).

I am not sure how useful this feedback is. I wonder if any of the other clinicians out there have any other opinions?
regards