[Leish-l] Fwd: name

Anuradha Dube anuradhadube at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 23:37:23 BRT 2010

I fully agree with Dr Shyam Sundar's view that VL and Kala azar are
synonymous. Elaborately, to my understanding, VL is classified on the basis
of *Leishmania* strains as below:

*Leishmania donovani donovani ( LDd),* commonly known as *Kala-azar *in
India and Sudan (Africa) as *Anthroponotic  VL. *A further manifestation in
the form of* Post Kala-azar Dermal Leishmanoid (PKDL) *occurs in humans* *in
* India and Sudan *(only?*) *is due to this strain only (LDd)

*Leishmania donovani chagasi ( LDc)* commonly known as *calaazar* in South
America (Brazil) and  *Leishmania donovani infantum (LDi)* commonly known as
*Mediterranean VL* in Mediterranean, as *Zoonotic VL (*with dog as reservoir
*)*.

Anuradha