[Leish-l] Fwd: name

gustavo adolfo sierra romero gromero at unb.br
Sun Apr 18 20:10:29 BRT 2010

Dear all,

I guess we are dealing with two matters: first, the scientific name of
the disease "visceral leishmaniasis" and second, the popular name
Kala-azar which is widely used in Brazil as "calazar". However the
"popular meaning" of calazar in Brazil does not report to the original
"black fever" but to "a febrile disease acquired from dogs" because of
the emphasis made for dedades on the role of dogs as the main
infection source.

Then, the scientific use of the term "calazar" in Brazil could be
discussed in the Brazilian context taking into consideration its "new
popular root". On the other hand the word "calazar" is short and
easier for the latin language speakers in spite of the scientific or
lay using matters.

It seems to me that in the Brazilian context, Vox populi already gave
its sentence.

Best regards,

Gustavo

Gustavo Romero