[Leish-l] sandfly, mosquito ..

Harry Noyes harryn100 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 14:13:07 BRT 2009

In English Hospitals there is always a Phlebotomy department for blood
collection. An internet dictionary defines Phlebotomy:

"Phlebotomy: Obtaining blood from a vein. In the old days, this was
done by incising (cutting) a vein and just letting the blood flow into
a container." (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4875
).

An online English - Italian dictionary translates Phlebotomy to
"flebotomia" (http://www.wordreference.com/enit/Phlebotomy)

So it looks like Rondani was not at fault in the way he constructed
his compound word from Greek and Latin, he was just using an existing
Italian word for blood letting.

Best wishes

Harry

Harry Noyes
Room 231 BioSciences Building
University of Liverpool
Crown Street
Liverpool
L69 7ZB
0151 795 4512
www.genomics.liv.ac.uk/tryps
harry at liv.ac.uk

Currently at International Livestock Research Institute
ILRI P.O. Box 30709, Nairobi, 00100
Kenya
Calls to +44 (0) 151 324 2366 will be routed to Skype on my laptop.
Kenyan mobile phone number: 0716 584 363