[Leish-l] sandfly, mosquito ..

Kandan Ilango kilangozsi at rediffmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:37:45 BRT 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 JEROME DEPAQUIT wrote :
Dear All,
I completely agree with Gilles. The French word is linked to the kind
>of bite of these insects (telmophagy) and for this reason to the latin
>name of the type genus of the (sub)family. The english name is
>curiously related to their ecology...and curiously "Phlebotomes" are
>caught not only in sandy landscapes, but also commonly in forests, etc
All the best,
Jerome DEPAQUIT
--------------------------

The species belonging to the subgenera Euphlebotomus, Idiophlebotomus and several others are not necessarily the same habitats as mentoined by Dr Depaquit.

to put the controversy at rest: The language is nothing but the power of expression/ communication, whether English of UK origin or American based or for that matter any other language origin, so I would consider the word sandfly, sand fly or sand-fly convey the same meaning and the people who work on this insect can use sandfly, sand fly and sand-fly which are not different form each other.

with best regards,
Ilango

Dr K. Ilango
Scientist 'C'