[leish-l] Reply to Dick Ashford's question.

Jeffrey J Shaw jshaw at brturbo.com
Thu Jan 16 11:21:39 BRST 2003

	As usual Dick's communications are provocative.
	In respect to the ages that become infected with the visceral parasites I
have the following comments.
	The Wellcome Parasitology recorded cases of visceral leishmaniasis in
young adults working in sawmills that were situated along the edge of a
newly opened road in the Igarape-Mirim region, Pará State. Over a period of
years cases in young adults all but disappeared and cases began to appear
in children (0-10 years old). In Pará State cases in adults are in general
rare and most are in young children with a tendancy for there to be more in
boys.
	Attention was drawn to endemic visceral leishmaniasis in the Camera
municipality of Pará State by the death of a young man in a Belém hospital.
However, in spite of a very high incidence in dogs, which was and probably
still is in the order of 40%, human cases are rare and again more occur in
young children. However, a skin test survey showed a high percentage of
reactors in adults.
	These observations lead me to suspect that when the disease moves in to an
area cases occur in all age groups then as the canine disease becomes
endemic immunity is acquired. HIV in Europe suggests a similar pattern i.e.
lots of people becoming infected but few clinical cases.
	A possible modulating factor is the sand fly biting rate. As this
increases with the size of the vector population it is possible that saliva
antibodies downgrade clinical infection as shown experimentally by David
Sack's group. Genetically controlled susceptibility is another disease
modulating factor which may be important.
Thank you all for your support last year.
Best wishes to everybody for 2003
Jeffrey Shaw
PS. If you think you have missed some postings you can check our website
where all are presently stored
(http://www.bdt.fat.org.br/iScan?87+leish-l+0+0+index). Postings can be
searched for by using keywords.