[leish-l] leishmaniasis outside endemic area (Germany)

Jaclamothe at aol.com Jaclamothe at aol.com
Thu Jan 16 08:44:43 BRST 2003

Dans un e-mail daté du 15/01/03 23:13:14 Paris, Madrid, Phlebotome a écrit :

> Well, there is still the question, if P. mascittii is a good vector, but
> with this case, there seems not to be any doubt. I have P. mascittii in
> stable laboratory-colony, inoculation experiments will be done soon (if I
> find an adaequate laboratory !!)
>
> The Leishmaniasis Great Dane is in bad condition, it took 1 and a half year
> for diagnosis. The final and correct diagnosis was made by Claude Favrot,
> Zurich. The dog is under Allopurinol for the moment, at the end of this
> month (January, 28) I have the possibility to get Oleyl-Phosphocholine for
> this dog. Therapy-trial will last 2 weeks.

Its interesting to try new drugs but long term  allopurinol is very
effective, even if parasites are found. THe only side effect are kidney
xanthine stones, very rarely found (Ive never diagnosed)
In the north american focus (Millbrook hunt club NY) all dogs ( nearly 40)
received allopurinol and were clinically cured. THe other interest of
allopurinol is that you don t create resistant strains (allopurinol is not
used in humans). Its the main defect of antimonials.

Jacques Lamothe
Clinique Vétérinaire
1, rond point de la Roya
F  06510 Carros