[leish-l] leishmaniasis outside endemic area

Jaclamothe at aol.com Jaclamothe at aol.com
Fri Jan 10 19:36:17 BRST 2003

I   Foward this mail from the veterinary dermatologists  list  (vetderm)

Is Bob here?  (or anyone else)?

Regards
Happy new year 2003,   bonne année 2003!!!

Hi everybody,

I have recently diagnosed a case of leishmaniasis in a Great Dane that has
never left the south of Germany. I am aware of at least another case in the
same area ( Baden-Wurtenberg) and one case of autochtone equine
leishmaniasis has recently been published ( Horse from Bavaria/Bayern).
I would like to gather the experiences of the European dermatologists (
outside of the endemic areas, of course) who have already diagnosed such
autochtone cases.
I also would like to know if the presence of the potential vectors (
Phlebotomus perniciosus, ariasi, mascittii, others?...) has already been
demonstrated in non endemic areas.

I will summarize the answers,
Thank you very much
Claude

FAVROT Claude
DVM, MsSc, OA Dermatologie
Klinik für Kleintiermedizin der Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstrasse 260
CH- 8057 ZÜRICH
Tel: ++ 41 (0)1-635 83 75
Fax: ++ 41 (0)1-635 89 20