[leish-l] Baghdad Boil --

K.P. Chang changk at mail.finchcms.edu
Thu Dec 11 00:24:22 BRST 2003

Fuad Sukkar mentioned in his chapter for "Leishmaniasis" [Chang/Bray eds, 1985] that CL is prevalent in Iraq as evidenced by its universal name as
"Baghdad boil" and its local name "sister". During the 1st World War it was common in troops stationed in the southern parts of the country, mostly in
Basra and Amara cities (Pringle 1957). Adler and Theodor (1929) noted that an infection rate approaching 100% was common in some sectors of Baghdad
city.

KP