[leish-l] Baghdad Boil --

Jennie Blackwell Jennie.Blackwell at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 08:01:18 BRST 2003

Te name Bagdad Boil has been used for cutatneous leishmaniasis in Iraq
and in text books for as long as I've been thinking about leishmaniasis,
which is 30 years!

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Peter Singfield wrote:

> New name for cutaneous Leishmaniasis??
>
> Baghdad Boil' disease afflicts 148 GIs in Iraq
>
> 05.12.2003 [17:15]
>

> Nearly 150 U.S. soldiers in Iraq have been diagnosed with a parasitic skin
> disease and hundreds more could unknowingly be infected, doctors reported
> Thursday.
>
> Doctors fear that soldiers returning from the front may consult doctors in
> the United States who have never seen the disease. Complicating matters:
> The best drug used to treat it is not licensed in the United States.
>
> Leishmaniasis, which soldiers have coined the "Baghdad Boil," is carried by
> biting sand flies and doesn't spread from person to person. It causes skin
> lesions that if untreated may take months, even years, to heal. The lesions
> can be disfiguring, doctors say.
>
> So far, 148 soldiers have confirmed cases, but hundreds more are expected,
> says Army Lt. Col. Russell Coleman, an entomologist who spent 10 months in
> Iraq with the 520th Theater Army Medical Laboratory. He reported the
> outbreak Thursday to the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene,
> meeting in Philadelphia.
>
> Sand flies are active during warm weather, and soon after U.S. troops
> arrived in Iraq in late March, "we started seeing soldiers basically eaten
> alive," Coleman says. "They'd get a hundred, in some cases 1,000 bites in a
> single night."
>
> Insect repellents and bed nets are standard issue, Coleman says, but many
> units failed to pack them when they were deployed.
>
> The sand flies have vanished with the cooler weather in Iraq, but because
> of a long incubation period, lesions may not appear for six months or
> longer after infection occurs. Coleman and Army Lt. Col. Peter Weina, a
> leishmaniasis expert still in Iraq, predicted in April that there would be
> 400 cases.
>
> All affected soldiers are being sent to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in
> Washington, D.C., to be treated with the drug Pentosam.
>

>  USA Today
>
> Article found at:
>
> http://www1.iraqwar.ru/iraq-read_article.php?articleId=28318&lang=en

Jenefer M. Blackwell
Glaxo Professor for Molecular Parasitology
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building
Addenbrooke's Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2XY

Telephone: +44 1223 336947
Secretary: Denise Schofield +44 1223 762812
Fax: +44 1223 331206
Email: jennie.blackwell at cimr.cam.ac.uk