[leish-l] PCR Leishmania

Parasitologie genpara at zeus.sc.univ-montp1.fr
Fri Jan 25 15:43:25 BRST 2002

There have been numerous studies for the detection of Leishmania by PCR but
very few comparative studies of PCR methods for our preferred
micro-organism. This hampers comparison of studies of this type among
diferent epidemiological settings and leads to false assertions and
hypotheses. R. Reithinger has started to compare PCR methods (Reithinger,
R., Lambson, B.E., Barker, D.C. & Davies, C.R. (2000). Use of PCR to detect
Leishmania (Viannia) spp. in dog blood and bone marrow. Journal of Clinical
Microbiology, 38, 748-751), we have done it recenty too (Lachaud et al.
(2002) Comparison of six PCR methods using peripheral blood for detection
of canine visceral leishmaniasis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 40,
210-215) !
Both studies show clearly that all PCR assays are not at all equal, so that
you can actually detect different situations with different assays. In the
end, this poses the problem of 'healthy' (asymptomatic) carriage of
Leishmania and the definition of disease .........

CNRS UMR5093 "Génome des Protozoaires Parasites"
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie
Faculté de Médecine
163 Rue A. Broussonet
34090 Montpellier
France
Tel: + 33 (0)4 67635513 ou (0)4 99232678
Fax: + 33 (0)4 67630049