[leish-l] Comments - Sand fly saliva

Jeffrey Jon Shaw jeffreyj at usp.br
Thu Jan 10 12:52:14 BRST 2002

Dear Colleagues.

One of Leish-L's strengths is that it gathers subscribers from many
different fields. However, I'm afraid we are perhaps not making full use of
this. Posting small messages that draw attention to something you feel
particularly interesting or important is one way of cross pollination
between fields. We are a very special group. As such I think we should try
to talk to each other more.

Good hunting in the New Year

With best wishes to you all

Jeffrey Shaw
1. The following is both fascinating and with far reaching effects

There is an ever increasing interest in the immune modulation caused by
sand fly saliva especially as a possible vaccine.

Two comments (Reithinger. 2001.Trends Parasitol. 17,513; Handman. 2001.
Trends Parasitol. 17, 513-514) draw attention to the recent discovery that
sensitization to sand fly saliva prior to infective bites protects against
lesion formation ( Kamhawi et al. 2000. Science, 290, 1351-1354; Valenzuela
et al. 2001. J.Exp.Med. 194,331-342).

2. An account of the WorldLeish II meeting (Trends Parasitol. 17, 403)