[leish-l] reference

Raymond E. Kuhn, Ph.D. kuhnray at wfu.edu
Fri Jan 4 15:41:40 BRST 2002

Dear Folks,
	Some years ago I read somewhere that hundreds of years ago the Chinese
exposed children to infectious materials in Oriental sores as a means of
inducing protective immunity and avoid scarring on the face.  This, I
read, was especially useful for young female children and aided in their
becoming brides.  As I recall, this was done as far back as 5,000 years
ago.
	I can't recall where I read this and can't find it.  Does anyone know
of a citation that describes this procedure in such ancient times?
	Thanks for any help.

	Ray Kuhn
--
Raymond E. Kuhn, Ph.D.