L. infantum chagasi genome

KEN STUART kstuart at sbri.org
Tue Sep 12 12:54:55 BRT 2000

I agree.  We have compared the sequence between numerous genes of L. major
and L. donovani and finda range of 90-100 amino acid identity, depending on
the gene.  Indeed we and others have compared the gene organization of L.
major, T. brucei and T. cruzi and find the same genes in essentially the
same order.  There must be differences among species of Leishmania but they
should be localized by methods other than sequencing before detailed (i.e.
sequence) analysis.  In addition, there are substantial differences among
Leishmania, T. brucei and T cruzi.  This is evident from the numerous
repeated sequence in T. cruzi and the VSG expression site and genes.  It is
also evident from the chromosomes number differences between the species
that is especially evident in T. brucei with its numerous minichromosomes
and fairly small number of larger (>1Mb) chromosomes.
Ken Stuart