rosettes

Jake Jacobson jacobsr at cc.huji.ac.il
Mon Mar 13 09:42:12 BRT 2000

At 08:03 13/03/2000 -0300, you wrote:
> While working with Leishmania donovanipromastigotes and amastigotes I
>often encounter the problem of clumpung (rosette formation). I will
>appriciate if anyone can suggest me a remady for the same
>

>Maneesh Jain
>Institute Of Microbial Technology
>Sector 39-A
>Chandigarh
>INDIA.
>-------------------------------------REPLY-----------------------
There are three simple remedies:
Bang the flask on the table top or something solid three or four times;
Work the parasites up and down in a finely drawn pasteur pippette;
Filter through a sterile sintered glass filter.
Some media cause more rosettes than others, as do some fetal calf sera.  We
use DMEM with  4.5g/l glucose and 10% inactivated FCS. Promastigotes in
roller bottles are less likely to clump.
Yours aye,
Jake
Dr. R.L. Jacobson
Department of Parasitology
The Kuvin Center for Study of Infectious and Tropical Diseases
The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School
POB 12272, Jerusalem 91120
Israel
Tel: 972-2-6758077
Fax 972-2-6757425