longipalpis distribution

Bruce Alexander bruce at cpqrr.fiocruz.br
Tue Jun 27 11:53:06 BRT 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFE02E.42298D00

I'd like to hear opinions that explain the geographical distribution of =
Lutzomyia longipalpis sensu lato, irrespective of whether it constitutes =
one species or several within a complex. I think it's most likely that =
it originated here in SE Brazil and spread northwards fairly recently, =
when much of South America was savannah. Also, there there some gaps in =
the known distribution that could be filled in. I assume it's present in =
Guyana (it occurs in municipalities of the Brazilian state of Roraima, =
just across the border) but does it occur in Surinam and French Guiana? =
What is the northernmost record in Mexico and the southernmost in =
Argentina, Paraguay or Brazil? Does it occur on both Pacific and =
Caribbean coasts in Central America? Does anybody have any thoughts =
they'd be willing to share on the time frame of its spread through South =
and Central America?

Bruce Alexander
CPqRR -FIOCRUZ
Belo Horizonte =20

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFE02E.42298D00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd like to hear opinions that explain =
the=20
geographical distribution of <EM>Lutzomyia longipalpis sensu lato</EM>,=20
irrespective of whether it&nbsp;constitutes one species or several =
within a=20
complex.&nbsp;I think it's most likely that it originated here in SE =
Brazil and=20
spread northwards fairly recently, when much of South America was =
savannah.=20
Also, there there some gaps in the known distribution that could be =
filled in. I=20
assume it's present in Guyana (it occurs in municipalities of the =
Brazilian=20
state of Roraima, just across the border) but does it occur in Surinam =
and=20
French Guiana?&nbsp;What is the northernmost record in Mexico and the=20
southernmost in Argentina, Paraguay&nbsp;or Brazil? Does it occur on =
both=20
Pacific and Caribbean coasts in Central America?&nbsp;Does anybody have =
any=20
thoughts they'd be willing to share on the time frame of its spread =
through=20
South and Central America?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bruce Alexander</FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>CPqRR -FIOCRUZ</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Belo Horizonte&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFE02E.42298D00--