Sandflies

COL Phillip Lawyer plawyer at mxa.usuhs.mil
Thu Jun 1 13:26:06 BRT 2000

I agree with Jeff Shaw's comment that vector sand flies could (and should)
be discussed on the leish-list and will start the discussion.

Of interest to me would be to know who in the world currently has sand flies
in colony.  Working laboratory colonies are essential for studying vector
biology and pathogen-vector, vector-host interactions.  We should build a
list of investigators and labs with sand fly colonies and share information
on laboratory biology and rearing methods.  Not all species thrive at 25
degrees centigrade and 80% relative humidity, nor do they all thrive equally
well on the Endris/Young larval diet.  Some investigators, including myself,
have had frustrating experience with facultative diapause in colonies.
There is a lot of information we can share.  I would be happy to maintain
the list if colleagues will send me their information.  I'll put the
information in a table that will be updated broadcast e-mailed on the
leish-list.   I suggest as a minimum the following essential elements of
information for each entry (if there are additional suggestions let me
know):

INVESTIGATOR(S):  Phil Lawyer
LABORATORY: Department of Preventive Medicine & Biometrics,Uniformed
    Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road,
    Bethesda, MD 20814, USA; ph:(301) 295-3735);e-mail:plawyer at usuhs.mil
SPECIES IN COLONY:
    Lutzomyia verrucarum
        Country/Site of Origin: Caraz, Ancash, Peru
        Generations in colony:  2
    Phlebotomus papatasi
        Country/Site of Origin: Israel (from WRAIR colony)
        Generations in colony:  many
SAND FLY RESEARCH INTERESTS : vector biology and vector-pathogen
    interactions; currently investigating sand fly role in Bartonella
    transmission.

Phil Lawyer