URGENT FOR LEISHMANIA TOO!

Al Ivens alicat at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Feb 7 13:25:26 BRST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

re:  Leishmania Genome Project

You may be aware that the Wellcome Trust has announced a functional
genomics initiative (http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/en/1/biosfggen.html).
This is a golden opportunity to make an application to upgrade the
Leishmania major genome project bioinformatics resources available to
all via the web and/or ftp. In this context, I am keeping in close
contact with our fellow T. brucei and T. cruzi genome projects, with a
view to integrating the three at some date in the near future.

If successful, funding would be for 5 years in the first instance, with
review in year 4.

The preliminary application has to be in by **** this Friday: 11th
February ****. At this stage, I would like to ask whether you would be
willing to provide a letter of support for the application, mentioning
the usefulness/accessibility of current data and how an integrated
database would influence your future research and the need to upgrade
analysis procedures.  It might also be useful to draw attention to the
comparative genomics/proteomics potential of such a database.

Your letter would have to reach me by **** Thursday 10th February ****.
I can accept most forms of email attachment but nice headed paper is
appreciated (and preferably signed as well!). It was clear from a
Wellcome Trust databases meeting last week that our getting the funding
will depend heavily on the level of research community support.  A large
number of such letters are ESSENTIAL to the application (i.e. it won't
be funded without them).

I would also appreciate any views you have on resources that you would
like to be available. I will try to amalgamate as many of these as
possible in the final proposal.

If you could send your letter to me either as an email attachment on
headed paper, or by fax to +44-1223-49 49 19, that would be very much
appreciated!  They MUST arrive here by Thursday...!

With many thanks in advance,

Cheers,
al

--

Al Ivens

Tel -44-1223- 49 49 55 (Office: E2-04), 49 49 54 (Lab: E2-08)
Fax -44-1223- 49 49 19
Email: alicat at sanger.ac.uk
User Web page: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/alicat

Research pages: