tdr> Public/Private partnership - Visceral Leishmaniasis

Cassy Workman drcw at rainbow.net.au
Mon Nov 1 14:09:47 BRST 1999

Dear List,
I read with interest the reports of the trials for this important new
drug.
This is especially important for patients who have failed all other
options, however, it seems impossible to obtain any
compassionate access for patients who are in this position..
In the HIV area we have been very successful in gaining access to
drugs in phase III development for patients who are at imminent risk
of disease progression and/ or death.
I fail to see why this should be any different for this drug and I
would urge all readers of this list to pressure this company to offer
the same.

We currently have one patient who is in desperate need of this drug
and who is highly likely to die without access to it.
That the company involved seems to not be concerned with such
situations should temper our approval of their behaviour in general.

dr cassy workman