Aracatuba

Heitor Franco de Andrade Junior hfandrad at usp.br
Tue Jul 6 17:32:39 BRT 1999

Dear friends,
In fact, the prevalence of canine leishmaniasis was high in Araçatuba, but
the IIF gtest used for diagnosis cannot elliminate the incidence of
cutaneous leishmaniasis in the same area. One interesting finding of this
epidemy was the introduction of an infected dog, from an endemic area, in
the city of Araçatuba, that was traced to occur in the mid of 1998. As
Brazilian patients presented a lower index of disease/infection(1 to 18
infected patients) with a chronic disease of more than 6 months of
incubation period, it was not surprising that the human infection will occur
only after a few months of the canine disease, as the dog is much more
suscetible to infection. Now is the time of the diagnosis and detection of
human cases. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, a girl died of visceral
leishmaniasis, misdiagnosed as lymphoproliferative disease, in Araçatuba.
As the sandfly breeds on faeces and other organic matter, the mosquito
campaign against dengue had few effect on its population, as directed to
water-breeding mosquitos. Due to this fact, reservoir elimination is the
main approach now to reduce human disease in this area, with good educative
campaigns to the sand-fly control.
I am sorry for the dogs, but there are no effective treatment for canine
visceral leishmaniasis, only leishmania-static drugs at high cost.
Vaccination would be the next step and must be carefully controlled, because
it could induce resistance to disease but not to infection, as seen in
several experimental models.
Heitor Franco de Andrade Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
Laboratório de Protozoologia
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo
Av.Dr.E.C.Aguiar, 470
05403-000 - São Paulo - SP
BRAZIL