Aracatuba

Clarisa B. Palatnik immgcpa at microbio.ufrj.br
Tue Jul 6 14:00:57 BRT 1999

Dear colleagues,
This is a copy of a message sent on 22.6.99. The message was
originally sent in Portuguese as I wanted it to have an impact at the
national and local level.

Dear colleagues
I am also very worried about the canine kala-azar burst in
Araçatuba, that seems to be an emergent zoonotic disease in a
region previously thought as non- endemic. However, some events
related to this burst seem to me very intriguing.
A professor of the Veterinary Medical School, UNESP, Aracatuba,
got in touch with us, last year, when we reported our results about
vaccination against canine kala-azar in Sao Goncalo do Amaranto,
Rio Grande do Norte, in the International Congress on Vaccination.
(Salvador, Bahia, 1998). She wanted to initiate a project in
collaboration with us in order to perform the serodiagnosis of
canine
kala-azar. She was very enthusisistic and we prepared a project for
diagnosisi and vaccination that was recently sumitted to the
analysis of several finnacial agencies.
The investment that has been made in canine control in Aracatuba
recently is much more impressive than the one we see in
Norhteast of the country (RN). I have never seen the scrifice of
such a high number of dogs (739/10000). This number represents
7.4% of seropsitivity in Immunofluorescency (IF). This is a very
hygh value considering that in Natal for instance serprevalence
reach 2%, and it is indeed the Northeast of the country  that shows
90% of the total cases of human kala-azar of the country (3700 in
1995). We know from literature that the canine endemy precede
the human endemy. In the case of Aracatuba is difficult to
understand how with a 7.4% prevalence of canine seropositivity no
human cases were reported until know, eventhough when it is
known that IF subestimates the real number of kala-azar cases
due to its low sensitivity. Several groups are working on the
development of more predicitive and sensitive tests, since it is
known that even subclinical assymptomatic dogs constitute
Leishmania reservoires in endemic areas. Therefore it is obvious
that one cannot solve an epidemic problem of canine kala-azar only
with IF assay that will mainly recognize only the symptomatic
dogs. Furthermore, a weel organized campaign is needed in order
to educate the population to cooperate with the canine control and
to allow the remotion of infected dogs for sacrifice.A specific and
didactic material was already prepared by National Foundation of
Health (FNS).
Suddenly, the first kala-azar human case happens, in an
adolescent, and it is lethal!
What kind of Leishmania promoted this? There is no human
epidemy and the first case is lethal?!?
I believe that Public Health situation in Sao Paulo state is better
than that in Northeast of the country. I would ask why so much
money was invested in scientific research of these problems and
all the available knowledge is not used. For instance: it would be
useful to receive advise of the infectologist from RN in order make
easer the diagnosis and treatment of kala-azar in Aracatuba.
Looking to a patient with fever, hepatosplenomegaly and pan
cytopeny they would always suspect first of kala-azar, make an
investigation and only after getting negative results by several
daignostic methods they would look for leukemia.
I think that much more human cases of kala-azar will appear soon
in Aracatuba.
I think that the decision know is more politic than scientific but I
hope we are not going to see, once more a case of disassociation
between the results of scientific investigation and their application
in Public Health of the country.

Clarisa B. Palatnik de Sousa
Inst. Microbiologia UFRJ