leishmaniasis in dogs

Cl á udia Di Lorenzo Oliveira dlorenzo at unix.horizontes.com.br
Sun Jun 1 21:39:54 BRT 1997

I' ve worked with leishmaniasis visceral en Belo Horizonte(BH), a big city in Brazil.Last year we had 46 human cases. Regarding to our dogs, we tested 102 000 dogs and four percent were seropositives. As we know, the majority of cases affect malnutrition children. As far as know, it doesn't seem to be clear the relation betwen nutritional status and disease in dogs.For example, in Natal, another Brazilian's city, the strays dogs are more affected than house's dogs. Differently, in Belo Horizonte, we have observed the same prevalence in dogs from street or domestics( all the races).As it is a relative recent epidemic in BH, what would happen in the future?Would we expect a pattern changing in which we have more cases among malnutrition or street dogs? I would like to change information about these question.
Cláudia Di Lorenzo