laboratory colonies of sandflies

Govind Modi Govind_Modi at d4.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Tue Feb 20 12:19:36 BRT 1996

Dear Members:

Response to my request (a while ago) on this network seeking information
on laboratory colonies of sand flies from members of the network was
very poor.  Only about half a dozen investigators repiled.  I request
again to those who keep colonies but did not send the infomation to
respond soon.  I am also thinkinking of writing to those who may not
have access to this network.  However, it would help if you could send
me infomation about the labs (investigator's name, address, telephone
number) you know are currently keeping colonies of these flies.  I would
really appreciate your input in this effort.  The complied list will be
available on the network as well as to anyone who asks for it.

Another note:  Publishers Chapman & Hall will be publishing  a methods
manual on "The Molecular Biology of Insect Disease Vectors" in a few
months.  This manual has about nine sections such as; 1. Care and
maintenance of insect colonies, 2. Experimental infection of insect
vectors, 3. Basic methods in isolating, cloning and characterising
nucleic acids and their products, 4. Genome mapping techniques,
5. Insect identification techniques, 6. Transformation techniques,
7. Cell and organ culture, 8. Viral systems and 9. Insect symbionts.
There are about 47 chpters in the manual covering these sections.

Govind B. Modi