Leishmania muris

Mr H.A. Noyes harry at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 05:44:56 BRT 1996

Dear Joe

I am aware of about forty Leishmania species and try to follow new ones
but I have not come across Leishmania muris. Two Old World rodent species
that do exist are Leishmania gerbili and Leishmania turanica.  What was
your student's source for Leishmania muris?
The most comprehensive survey of the Leishmania species is by Lainson and Shaw
1987 in the Leishmania in Biology and Medicine, edited by Peters and
Killick-Kendrick pp 1-120 Chapter 1 Evolution , classification and geographical
 distribution. Several new species have been published since that time, it describes
L. gerbili which is found in Southern mongolia and appears not to be infectious
to hamsters or humans. It does not mention L. turanica but I believe that that species
is also found in Rhombomys opimus in the same region.

Please let me know if you find more details on L. muris.

Harry Noyes
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool UK
harry at liv.ac.uk