whitmani_project

C.DAVIES C.DAVIES at lshtm.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 12:27:01 BRST 1995

TO: JEFF SHAW

dear jeff

Here is just a quick note to tell you our immediate plans with
respect to the new whitmani project. You will no doubt get
confirmation of these plans from Rupert when he returns to Belem
next week. In short, I expect to visit Brazil for up to three weeks
from early April. I shall be travelling with Diarmid Campbell-
Lendrum, who will be the post-doc in the field throughout the project
responsible for the behavioural studies, and also with Paul Ready.
Diarmid will stay in Brazil after I have left. The main aims of the 3
week visit are to sort out details of the forthcoming field studies -
exact field locations, logistic concerns, some sort of timetable etc.
- and to settle Diarmid into the work. No doubt we will make a number
of sandfly collections to check for project feasibility (i.e. presence
of whitmani, numbers expected etc.  I would like to visit Belem for
some of this period, as a base to visit some forest sites of whitmani
in Para. We also expect to be in Teresina for much of the time - as
Teresina has been chosen as the first site for the field project - in
order to co-incide with the presence of Alex Vexenat (who is
expected to return to Uk in July, I think). If we have
time, we may also try to visit whitmani sites near Recife & in Tres
Bracos. Paul is keen to collect material from a wide geographic range
for his molecular studies. Paul says he will be in touch very soon.

When I have more details of our plans, I shall contact you again. But
I thought I should give you advance warning of our imminent
appearance in Belem! Looking forward to seeing you.

best wishes. clive davies