Folk Treatments

Deborah A. Salazar dasalazar at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 19 13:28:41 BRT 1995

I am a geographer and have recently completed an ethnobotanical study of the
Venezuelan Gran Sabana.  Leishmaniasis is a significant health concern here,
among the Pemon Indians.  I am interested in any comparative data you may
have published or know of regarding folk treatments of leishmaniasis or folk
names for this disease as well.  For example, a common approach is to use a
variety of plant latex treatments or (more modern?) for people to put
battery acid on the lesions--has anyone (MD) documented this in a clinical
setting?  Looking forward to your responses.

Deborah Salazar  dasalazar at mail.utexas.edu
Deborah A. Salazar

 Associate Researcher                    10926 Jollyville Rd. #512
 Bureau of Economic Geology              Austin, Texas  78759
 University Station Box X                Voice/Fax (512)418-1598
 Austin, Texas  78713-7508               dasalazar at mail.utexas.edu
 (512)471-1534
 FAX (512)471-0140
 salazard at begv.beg.utexas.edu