[Tropmed-l] ironic

Alan Kay alan.campbell.kay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 12:31:38 BRST 2013

Dear colleague,

As a subject of a colonised country (Scotland) as well as a subject of a
former (perhaps) colonial country (France), I have divided notions about
your post. First, I find it ironic that your post is in English rather than
in Portuguese (eu fale um pouco portugues mas eu compreendou bem). Secundo,
the idea is that our works be as outspread as possible. At the beginning of
the 20th century this could involve German (for chemistry and physics) or
French (for Physics or Biology) as well as English (look at the list of
Nobel Prize winners at this period). Since the Second World War, English,
because of the suppremicy of the United States in both scientific research
and the financing of this research, became the standard. One can regret it,
especially because Editors prefer a very neutral English rather than
someting that can be readable. I often have this problem. I want my papers
to be enjoyable to read, but this does not seem to be the point of view of
the Editors. So, to sum up, it is not the question of English or not, but
is the article interesting and agreable to read.

Best regards,

Alan KAY