[Tropmed-l] Case of fever and splenomegaly 2 - Fever of Unknown Origin

Igor Thiago Borges de Queiroz e Silva igorthiago at usp.br
Tue Jul 10 22:31:13 BRT 2012

Hi, everybody!
I´m very pleased that this case has generated great discussion!
I´m sorry for the delay in these informations. It took into account
many of yours remarks, hoping joins them to the fullest, and many
tests are still ongoing.
Our patient remains febrile despite the previous use of ceftriaxone,
piperacillin / tazobactam, meropenem, vancomycin. Empirical treatment
with praziquantel, even without serologic status for schistosomiasis.
Currently, makes use of polymyxin B (D5) for treatment of
Acinetobacter baumannii tracheobronchitis and amphotericin B (D13) and
doxycycline (D5), the last two being empirical.
Last week, we began the use of prednisone (0.5 mg / kg / day), aiming
for the treatment of Still's disease.

Laboratorial tests:
Anti- HIV negative, Anti-HCV negative, HbsAg negative
EBV Serology ? IgM negative / IgG positive
CMV Serology IgM negative / IgG positive
Dengue Serology IgM negative / IgG negative
Schistosomiasis (IFI) negative
Chagas Disease (EIA) negative
Leishmaniasis ? IFI negative and rK39 negative. ELISA in progress.
Leptospirosis (IFI) ? IgM and IgG negative
Widal reaction ? negative
Thick blood smear for Plasmodium ? negative
VDRL (anti- T. pallidum) negative
Protein electrophoresis (Total protein = 5,5) ? albumin=37,5%, ?1=
12%, ?2= 10,7%, ?=10,8%, ?=29%
C3=102, C4=22, ANCA (c,p) negative, Anti-DNA negative, FAN postive
(cytoplasmic dense fine speckled) 1/160. Reumathoid factor = 9,6
Ferritin = 3337
Negative blood cultures ever
VHS=35mm/h (<10mm/h)
PCR=3,3 > 16,4 > 17,9 > 12,3 > 18,2
TGO/P=33/35
alkaline phosphatase = 575 (<390)
GGT=605 (<85)
BT= 2,7 / BI=2,1 > BT=1,7 / BI=0,3
Artherial Lactate = 1,2 (0,4-2,0)
Hb/Htc= 8,2/23,8 > 9,3/27,7 > 7,2/21,6
Leuc= 2200 (Eo=0; 72 Segm) > 2300 (Eo=2%; 72Segm) > 2700 (Eo=3%; 71% Segm)
Plq= 78000 > 52000 > 77000

Imaging studies:
Transthoracic echocardiography without vegetations, and showing
moderate tricuspid valve insufficiency and mild mitral valve
insufficiency
Endoscopy normal
USG = homogenous splenomegaly + biliary gauge preserved
CT Thorax = Ill-defined opacities in frosted glass and confluent
perihilar, predominantly in the right upper lobe, suggestive of
partial filling of the space aerial + Small / moderate right pleural
effusion posterior free
CT abdomen = Liver shapes and dimensions preserved with radiodensity
homogeneous. Ectasia and hepatic vein of the splenic hilum. An
enlarged spleen (20x9x18), with regular contours and solid density of
the parenchyma. Prostate of dimensions increased with regular contours
and attenuation coefficients usual. Content in a small liquid volume
in the pleural spaces, with tenuous amorphous densification in the
lung bases.

We are having some limitations in others tests such as mild laboratory
infrastructure or release of health insurance. But I will fight on it
to search of a definitive diagnosis. I count on the help of you.

More details later...

Sincerely.

--
Igor Thiago Borges de Queiroz e Silva
Infectologista do Hospital Giselda Trigueiro - SESAP - Natal/RN