[Leish-l] [External] Re: anti-inflammation and regulation

Carlos Costa chncosta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:21:55 -03 2020

Compilation of answers to the question of equality between the terms
“anti-inflammatory” versus “regulatory” for cytokines sent in Leish-l on
March 27, 2020.

The following people kindly answered the question but not all of them
responded to the Leish-l, but only directly to my email:

Jacob Golenser, Christian Bogdan, Hira Nagashi, Luís Afonso, Mary Wilson,
John David, Paulo Machado, and Ali Khamesipour. KP Chang’s interesting
comments were broader than the question.

I asked permission to those that responded to me and they allowed showing
their answers to the group. As you can see bellow, seven out of the eight
specific answers opposed the use of the term “regulatory” for
anti-inflammatory cytokines.

Interestingly, however, the use of the descriptor “anti-inflammatory
cytokines” yielded 5,879 results in PubMed a few minutes ago, while
“regulatory cytokines” yielded 967, with an odds roughly 5:1.

It sounds that the consensus runs in the direction of not making the terms
"regulatory" and "anti-inflammatory" interchangeable for cytokines.

*The question:*

In times of coronavirus but still with kala-azar, a question to the
immunologists: are the terms anti-inflammation and regulation the same? Are
anti-inflammatory cytokines the same as regulatory cytokines?

*The answers:*

Dear Carlos,

These are not identical; the regulatory ones have different tasks- e.g.
they may enhance inflammation as well.

Best wishes,

Jacob

Dear Carlos,

in my opinion the answer is "no". If at all, "regulatory cytokines" is a
superordinate term, which comprises both pro- and

anti-inflammatory cytokines. However, as all cytokines have regulatory
functions per definition, the term "regulatory cytokines" is a pleonasm,
which I would not use at all.

Best,

Christian

Dear Carlos,

Hope things are ok with you during the current situation with COVID-19.

To answer your question. There is some subtle difference in
anti-inflammatory cytokines and regulatory cytokines.

Anti-inflammatory cytokines are TH2 cytokines such TGF-b and IL-4 where as
IL-10 is regulatory cytokine.

For example : T helper 2 cells producing IL-4, help in the resolution of
inflammation by by other cytokines. Whereas production of IL-10 is involved
in governing the regulation of inflammation and may also help in resolution
of inflammation. I am also attaching a paper which may help.

Stay safe.

Kind Regards,

Hira

Dear Carlos,

I would say that anti-inflammatory cytokines are usually regulatory!
However, care must be taken in selecting what are the cytokines you have in
mind! IL-10 and TGF-beta fall in that category but I'm not sure that IL-4
would fit the description!

Another issue here is that regulation of inflammation may be achieved by
other means that not necessarily include

cytokines. One example is the action of extracellular adenosine on the
immune cells! Adenosine can have direct effects on cells without the
participation of cytokines!

In other words, anti-inflammatory cytokines are regulatory cytokines, but
regulation is not mediated only by such

cytokines!

Best,

Luís Afonso

I agree. The term "regulatory cytokines", if used (which I too would
avoid), cannot refer merely to the cytokines produced abundantly by Treg
cells that modify Th1 cells. A response regulating (or modifying is a
better word) cellular responses would have to include cytokines that can
modify function of any cell type.

Mary

Dear Carlos,

I have seen some of the arguments and regulatory cytokines does't tell you
anything specific,

where as pro-inflammatory such as TNF and MF or anti-inflammatory like Il-4
seems

as better description. If a cytokine does neither but does regulate some
metabolic reaction or cell development , then it could be used in that case.

Best wishes,

John,

Dear Carlos,

As you sad, Christian answer was sharp and clear.

In my view also exact. I agree, the term regulatory is very subjective and
encompasses

diverse and sometimes antagonic functions.

Best regards, Paulo.

I agree with Prof. Wilson.

Best Ali

Thanks to everyone!