[Leish-l] Warning: Drugs for human leishmaniasis used to treat dogs

Kwang-Poo Chang kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Sun Nov 10 13:55:12 -03 2019

You are quite right.There has been no effective anti-leishmanial  period.
Under the circumstances, different countries develop their own policies
best suited in their view for their own endemic areas. The problem is that
Leishmania spp. do not recognize or do not respect borders and slip into
Paraguay illegally without a visa. They are unstoppable even if you hire
Donald Trump to build a wall. That is the unfortunate reality.\

KP

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 2:38 AM Rolando Oddone <roloddone at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> new drugs for leishmaniasis. If we are creating resistance of Leishmania
> against SbV, we will have very few options for all human cases. But if dogs
> do not use antimonials, they can be treated by other drugs, as far as I
> understand.
>

> Rolando Oddone
>

> El mar., 5 de nov. de 2019 a la(s) 17:13, Kwang-Poo Chang (
> kwangpoo.chang at rosalindfranklin.edu) escribió:
>
>> Dear Rolando,
>>
>> Both drugs you mentioned have been used by veterinarians elsewhere for
>> treating canine leishmaniasis, although neither has been shown to cure the
>> disease. According to my colleagues in Naples, Italy, the diseased dogs
>> responded positively to the treatment when used at high dosage initially,
>> as indicated by a reduction of LD loads and alleviation of clinical
>> symptoms, but ~50% of them died of flare-ups eventually. Your concern seems
>> to be a regulatory issue of restricting the use of these drugs only for
>> human cases in Paraguy ?
>>
>> Laura Manna is a DVM in Naples who has been trying our
>> photodynamically inactivated Leishmaina as non-viable whole-cell vaccines
>> for immunotherapy of canine leishmaniasis after initial chemotherapy with
>> evidence of some effectiveness. Let me know, should you or your colleagues
>> are interested in this ?
>>
>> KP
>>
>> Kwang Poo Chang, PhD
>> Professor of Microbiology/Immunology
>> Chicago Medical School/RFUMS
>> N Chicago, IL 60064, USA
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 4:40 PM Rolando Oddone <roloddone at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In Paraguay we have growing proliferation of dogs with leishmaniasis (L.
>>> infantum) since the 1990s.
>>> But dog owners with leishmaniasis are increasingly reluctant to sacrifice
>>> their animals. In recent years Glucantime and Milteforan are entering the
>>> country smuggled (apparently they come from France and Spain), for "free"
>>> use in dogs. These medications are currently being used indiscriminately
>>> by
>>> veterinarians who, for profit, take advantage of the need that people
>>> have
>>> to want to preserve the lives of their pets.
>>> Under this scenario, hundreds of dogs have already been treated with
>>> these
>>> drugs, perhaps a thousand in a few years, and the magnitude of the
>>> problem
>>> will increase.
>>> However, the authorities of the Ministry of Health do not take any
>>> measures, despite the existence of recommendations that these drugs are
>>> exclusively for human use.
>>> The purpose of this sharing is, dear colleagues, that you express your
>>> position regarding this situation, at least in this way, and what would
>>> be
>>> the impact this could have at the international level. Your joint voice
>>> will be better heard than the simple complaint I may make.

>>> Paraguay