[Leish-l] About theory of an Amazonian origin of tegumentary leishmaniasis

Maxy De los Santos dmaxy at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 17:04:21 -03 2019

Dear all

I am writing an article about genetic population of L. (V.) braziliensis in Peru and I need some information about the possible causes of distribution of the disease associated with a possible event of gene flow.

I read the article of Dr. Bedoya-Pacheco about Endemic Tegumentary Leishmaniasis in Brazil 2011 when he talks about the theory of an Amazonian origin of Tegumentary Leishmaniasis and give as citation the article Tegumentary and visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil, Marzochi & Marzochi 1994 but this article only describe the epidemiological situation and distribution of the disease, the types of parasites, possible vectors and reservoirs involved, also different strategies of control, but nothing about the theory.

Other article Population Structure and evidence for both clonality and recombination ...by Katrin Kuhls et al 2013 also refer the article from Dr. Bedoya-Pacheco (2011) as the hypothesis of an Amazon origin of CL in Brazil. But this article only show a picture without explanation about this hypothesis or theory.

Could any please give me the exact article or reference where describe the hypothesis or theory about the origin of CL in Brazil?

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

Dr. Maxy De los Santos
Parasitology Department