[Leish-l] Sand fly or sandfly or sand-fly?‏

jeffreyj at usp.br jeffreyj at usp.br
Fri Feb 19 19:50:54 BRST 2016

Dear All,

The 2009 discussion came down on the side of sand fly as this means a dipteran, and one word was considered as indicating non-depteran - mayfly, hoverfly etc. Because of this I prefer to use sand fly irrespective on which side of the Atlantic I am. However, sandfly crops up in the literature for ceratopongids, such as Culicoides that are dipterans. So if we follow the dipteran rule then they should also be called sand flies! In attempt to resolve this ceratopongid biting midges are sometimes referred to as sand-flies. The term sand fly for American phlebotomines is really crazy as the vast majority occur in forests! Phlebotomines or phlebotomine flies are other options that avoid some of the confusion and complications surrounding sand fly and sandfly.

Cheers Jeffrey