[Leish-l] Fwd: Leishmaniasis - sand fly or sandfly or sand-fly?

Patrick BOURDEAU patrick.bourdeau at oniris-nantes.fr
Fri Feb 19 08:32:39 BRST 2016

Isn't Sandfly or Sand-fly just  a confusing terminology:  A vernacular
name that wouldn't reach scientific papers.
(just mention it once as "synonym "*).
Ther are not "flies" at all
This term is also frequently used to mention Culicoides species (
ceratopogonidae) ( "midges") as well in many document, books, Internet...

So no signification per se apart the supposed context in which  it is
mentioned: acceptable in sciences?.

Why no use phlebotomines ? and definitely forget sandfly in publications
(*).

Sincerely

Patrick BOURDEAU
Unit of Dermatology/Parasitology/Mycology
Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Nantes ONIRIS  France