[Leish-l] Leishmania RNA virus

Beverley, Stephen beverley at wusm.wustl.edu
Fri Dec 18 19:25:48 BRST 2015

HI folks,

The Leishmania (Viannia) guyanensis WHO reference strain M4147 contains LRV1.   As such, this strain is widely available.
Lgy M4147 is one of the first in which LRVs was discovered, and the first for which a link between LRV1 and virulence was reported.

Note that by the recent changes in LRV1 nomenclature adopted by the International Committee on the Taxonomy of Viruses in 2014,
the proper name for this virus is now LRV1-LgyM4147  (virus species – host species/strain where isolated).   Formerly it was termed LRV 1-4.

Stephen Beverley, Ph.D.
Molecular Microbiology
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis USA