[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis and Lymphoma

Igor Thiago Queiroz igorthiago at usp.br
Thu Jul 10 20:56:39 BRT 2014

Dear all.
We have an adult male patient, which presented some symptoms like fever, malaise, abdominal pain and weight loss for 15 days, and fever has disappeared posteriorly.
On physical exam he presented mild splenomegaly. Bone marrow aspirate showed some Leishmania sp.
However, we decided not to treat this patient because he was symptomless after few days of hospitalization and he was discharged.
Some days later, we received bone marrow immunophenotyping compatible with Lymphoma.
What should we do now? Treat this patient for leishmaniasis before therapy for cancer? With Ambisome? Or should we expect the patient has some leishmaniasis symptoms before specific treatment?

Abraços,

Prof. Dr. Igor Thiago Borges de Queiroz e Silva
Infectologista do Hospital Giselda Trigueiro - SESAP - Natal/RN
Professor de Infectologia da Universidade Potiguar (UnP) | Laureate International Universities
igorthiago at usp.br
igorthiago at hotmail.com
+55 (84) 9608-7999