[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis and Lymphoma

hgoto at usp.br hgoto at usp.br
Tue Aug 5 23:00:56 BRT 2014

Dear Igor,
With or without symptoms, if the presence of Leishmania is actually confirmed we would treat leishm aniasis since the reactivation is likely with the progression of the lymphoma. We would treat leishmaniasis before chemotherapy for lymphoma, if possible.
Regards,
Hiro

Profa. Dra. Hiro Goto
Laboratório de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, USP
Av. Dr. Enéas de Carvalho Aguiar, 470, prédio II, quarto andar
05403-000 - São Paulo, SP
Tel. +55-11-3061 7023, 3061 7056 ou 3061 7027
Fax. +55-11-3061-8270

----- Igor Thiago Queiroz <igorthiago at usp.br> escreveu:
>Dear all.We have an adult male patient, which presented some symptoms like fever, malaise, abdominal pain and weight loss for 15 days, and fever has disappeared posteriorly. On physical exam he presented mild splenomegaly. Bone marrow aspirate showed some Leishmania sp.However, we decided not to treat this patient because he was symptomless after few days of hospitalization and he was discharged.Some days later, we received bone marrow immunophenotyping compatible with Lymphoma.What should we do now? Treat this patient for leishmaniasis before therapy for cancer? With Ambisome? Or should we expect the patient has some leishmaniasis symptoms before specific treatment?

Abraços,
Prof. Dr. Igor Thiago Borges de Queiroz e Silva
Infectologista do Hospital Giselda Trigueiro - SESAP - Natal/RNProfessor de Infectologia da Universidade Potiguar (UnP) | Laureate International Universitiesigorthiago at usp.brigorthiago@hotmail.com+55 (84) 9608-7999