[Leish-l] Leishmaniasis and Lymphoma

Bogdan, Christian Christian.Bogdan at uk-erlangen.de
Mon Aug 4 17:14:11 BRT 2014

Dear Professor Thiago,

I would strongly recommend to treat this patient for visceral leishmaniasis (we would use liposomal amphotericin B) before treating the presumed lymphoma, especially because he has had clear symptoms and signs of disease and lymphoma treatment bears the risk of VL aggravation. The fact that the patient´s fever intermittently resolved does not mean anything with respect to the further course of the infection.
Concerning the lymphoma diagnosis based on “immunophenotyping” I would question this diagnosis as long as the VL has not been treated and the diagnosis has not been ascertained by proving clonality with molecular techniques, because VL is known to cause e.g. polyclonal B cell activation and proliferation. Of course, chronic VL can also cause the development of true lymphoma, but I would consider this as a rare event. Much more likely is that the so-called lymphoma is a non-malignant lymphoproliferation due to visceral leishmaniasis.

With regards,

Christian Bogdan

Christian Bogdan, M.D.
Professor of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Immunology, Head of the Institute
Microbiology Institute – Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene
Universitätsklinikum Erlangen
Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Wasserturmstraße 3/5
D-91054 Erlangen, Germany
Tel. (+49)-9131-852-2551 (office), -2281 (secretary)
Fax (+49)-9131-852-2573 or -9131-85-1001