No subject

Mon Jan 14 20:15:59 BRST 2013

embarked in understanding the roles of saliva and salivary proteins not
only with regard to transmission of Leishmania by sand flies, but also in
other vector-pathogen models. Richard also significantly contributed to
the training of many students from all over the globe who spent time in
his lab at Colorado State University in Fort Collins. I recall one of his
stories about his nearly 25 years of working with vector saliva and having
to explain to family members what was that he did as an MD. Richard would
simply state that "after all the hard work of going through med school and
hours and hours in the lab he worked with spit".

He was a good colleague and someone I will miss and remember dearly.
Richard is survived by his daughter Katherine and grandson Christopher. I
also was informed that funeral arrangements are being or will be made
locally by Bohlander Funeral Chapel (www.bohlenderfuneralchapel.com).

Regards,

Marcelo

Marcelo Ramalho-Ortigao