[Leish-l] RES: testing vaccinated dogs for immunopotentiation

Chang, Kwang-Poo KwangPoo.Chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Thu Oct 6 12:33:43 BRT 2011

What Jenni said indicates that transplacental transmission of canine
leishmaniasis has some implication in considering dog vaccination.

Of further interest is the question of whether this transplacental
transmission could also occur in other reservoir animals or even in
human leishmaniasis ? I recall the description of such transmission in
human cases in some very early literature, but that has been always
considered as unlikely or extremely rare, more as a hypothesis than
reality. This issue may have been addressed in more recent
epidemiological studies of VL familial clustering in well-established
endemic sites ? Congenital transmission might escape our attention,
should the outcome be largely asymptomatic ?

KP