[Leish-l] inquiry

Satoskar, Abhay Abhay.Satoskar at osumc.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:49:21 BRT 2011

Hi Tony:

You may or may not remember you but I had visited you in 1993 when I was doing my PhD in UK and had a needle stick with Ld.
You are right that its critical to achieve sustained temperature deep in the lesion. Unlike other methods, RF therapy involves topical delivery of radiowaves deep into tissues in controlled manner under local anesthesia which allows us to get temperature up to 50oC for a sustained period of 1 to 1.5 min. we tried curretage too with some patients but RF therapy is much better with cure rates comparable to SSG injections. The cost of RF therapy is an issue but I was told by the company that they are working on a machine which will be less than $5,000. This machine is smaller than a laptop and once charged can treat upto 80 patients. Also, Thermosurgery is considering developing a machine which could be operated with solar power which would be fantastic for field deployment. I our experience in India so far, most patients are preferring RF therapy to SSG. we are also finding that the extent of scarring is not determined by the type of treatment but rather by the location of the lesion. Scarring is minimal with good tissue healing when lesion is on vascular part of the body.

Abhay

Abhay R Satoskar MD, PhD
Professor
Departments of Pathology and Microbiology
129 Hamilton Hall
1645 Neil Avenue
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio