[Leish-l] inquiry

Farrokh Modabber fmodabber at dndi.org
Sun Jun 5 15:44:21 BRT 2011

Dear All,
1- Try taking a few Balb/c mice to the field and inject your specimens, depending on the suspected organism, to different sites i.e. ear, i.v., id or sc.  Harvest a week or several weeks later from the site of injection, draining lymph node or spleen.  Usually, contaminant will not survive.
2- Patrick Bastien mentioned an important point and said he does not want to start a discussion - what a pity!  The point is that neither isoenzyme nor the genetic markers that have been used for identification of Leishmania are biological markers.  They have been very useful tools to study evolution and inter-relations of different species, but not defining necessarily the disease they produce (their biology).  All the variants of an isoenzyme have the same enzymatic activity only somewhere else in the molecule a change occurred that makes it migrate differently, but does not grossly change its enzymatic activity.  Molecular markers used so far are not biological markers either. Of course if parasites are closely related they would tend to share many biological markers as well.  This fact has caused a confusion and many take non-biological markers to define the biology of a parasite: L. donovani that causes CL, or L. tropic that grows and produces a lesion in mice!  The biological markers to differentiate between species are few and ancient and no one is too keen to use them, rightly because they are somewhat inaccurate and cumbersome.  They were based on epidemiology (anthroponotic vs zoonotic), the general form of disease they produced, predominant vector and reservoir, etc.  L. tropic is defined by being anthoponotic, transmitted primarily by P. sergenti, would not produce CL in mice, and the CL it produces in humans tend to be the dry type (not in all cases), and takes a longer time to self cure (over a year in general).  As opposed to L. major, that would produce CL (and or VL) in mice i.e. Balb/c, is zoonotic, transmitted generally by P. papatasi or a few others but not sergenti lesions are generally the wet type (not all), and tend to heal in a few months.
I hope we would have some efforts towards using genomics and other modern tools for identifying biological markers.
Thanks,
Farrokh Modabber