[Leish-l] inquiry

Chang, Kwang-Poo KwangPoo.Chang at rosalindfranklin.edu
Wed Jun 1 19:41:41 BRT 2011

Dear Petr,

Sorry for not referring to your article attached in my previous message. It is indeed a great piece of work !

In support of your observations, several CL patient isolates (Trop Med Center, Adana) and one dog isolate (Osmaniye) are referred to as L. infantum based on DNA analyses of a different genetic site in the Table for L infantum/donovani complex in the following website: http://rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/portals/24/documents/microbiology/sampleList.pdf

The data are limited to very few isolates, which grew up in culture, out of many more patient samples, which did not grow.  This observation is also consistent with your successful cultivation from only 1 patient sample of the 25 isolation attempts. Our samples were collected at an earlier time from different places in the adjacent endemic area. I am also certain we didn't use the same culture medium formulation and conditions, indicating that the CL infantum is indeed difficult to grow for isolation in culture by different groups in this area.

It is entirely possible that the other 24 non-cultivable samples may well be identical to the one you were able to grow and thus examined, but you won't know that for sure until you actually examine them all. The phenotypes of cutivability vs non-cutivability may or may not be reflected in the genetic differences of the parasites. If so, we could miss some genotypes by studying only cultivable samples unless we examine the clinical samples directly. This approach, very doable nowadays with the advance in technology, will also allow us to evaluate parasite genetic heterogeneity directly and eliminate the risk of potential selection by cultivation for genetic variants/strains/species in a given clinical sample.

You mentioned the discovery of a L infantum/donovani hybrid in another e-mail. Is this a true hybrid proven by cell cloning or actually a mixture of the two ?

KP