[Leish-l] PCR and Leish detection in sand flies

Kaldas, Rania M CIV EG NAMRU3 Rania.Kaldas.eg at med.navy.mil
Thu Jul 21 03:22:31 BRT 2011

Good morning dear professors,

I am so thankful for all your input in troubleshooting our controversial
samples of sand flies, I have tried to amplify another fragment and am
planning in going further with sequencing to confirm the product I am
getting. My internal controls were excellent in all of my assays, but they
are cultures of different strains of Leishmania, and had too much DNA. The
confusing part here is that the ITS.1 product show smears on the Agarose gel
even with 3 % concentration, which is a first to me. There is another
thought of trying to amplify a specific target for all sand flies (e.g. 18 s
ribosomal RNA) to make sure there is actually sand fly DNA, also our
extraction kit is still good for use (far away from being expired).

Thanks again for the information, and am looking forward to sharing with all
of you solving this mystery.

Have a wonderful day

Respectfully,

  Rania M. Kaldas

  Medical Research Technician
  Vector Biology Research Program
  U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit No. 3 (NAMRU-3)
  Tel.: ++2-02-23480507
  Fax:  ++2-02-23423090
  E-mail: rania.kaldas.eg at med.navy.mil