[Leish-l] PCR and Leish detection in sand flies

narayan raj bhattarai bhattarai03 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 03:47:33 BRT 2011

Dear Ilango,

We have calculated very low infection rate by PCR in our previous study done on 2007 (you can have detail on Bhattarai et al 2009, Natural infection of Phelebotomus argentipes with Leishmania and other trypanosomatids in a visceral leishmaniasis endemic region of Nepal, TRSTMH) but we didnot look the infection by microscopy. However, you can contact entomologist Prof Dr M. L. Das (mldas_29 at yahoo.com) from nepal who can give breif information regarding the microscopic results.
In addition, we have recently found higher percentage of infection as compare to previous time on sandfly collected in 2008-2009.
thanks
kind regards
narayan